Where: Ireland (53.5° N, 9.4° W: paleocoordinates 18.5° S, 24.1° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Kilbride Formation, Telychian (438.5 - 433.4 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Kilbride Fm, which overlies the Lough Mask Fm, and is overlain by the Tonalee Fm. AGE: Late Llandovery on the basis of conodont biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From the Annelid Grits, in the lower part of the Kilbride Fm.
•Telychian according to Evans (1994. Irish J. Earth Science 13:113-148.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: transition zone or lower shoreface; lithified, coarse-grained, shelly/skeletal, calcareous sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original calcite, original phosphate
Collection methods: bulk, chemical, hydroflouric, sieve,
• COLLECTOR: Aldridge et al. REPOSITORY: James Mitchell Museum, University College, Galway. METHODOLOGY: Two samples, one of 5 kg and one of 0.55 kg, were processed and the residues concentrated using bromoform. To attain complete breakdown, the smaller sample was also treated with hydrofluoric acid.
Primary reference: R. J. Aldridge, S. Turner, G.L. Jones and D.A.T. Harper. 1996. Late Llandovery thelodonts and conodonts from the Kilbride Formation, Co. Galway, western Ireland. Geological Journal 31(4):359-367 [P. Wagner/P. Wagner/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 90302: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 15.07.2009, edited by Pete Wagner
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)