Where: Veracruz, Mexico (18.1° N, 94.3° W: paleocoordinates 18.2° N, 93.7° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Agueguexquite Formation, Late/Upper Pliocene (3.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Agueguexquite Formation, for which lithostratigraphic relationships are not stated in english. Overlies the Upper Conception and Filisola Fms (Early-Late Pliocene) according to Collins and Coates (1999, p. 75), and is equivalent to the Tirabuzon Fm of Mexico's Maria Madre Island, and Esmeraldas of NW Ecuador. AGE: Stated to be Pliocene. Assigned here, provisionally, to the late Pliocene age (following PBDB# 59420: "The geological age according to Perilliat (1960) is upper Lower Miocene or lower Middle Miocene (Helvetian or Tortonian). The fauna is apparently closely connected with that from the Choctawhatchee Fm in Florida....The Agueguexquite Fm represents the youngest Miocene deposition as yet found in the Coatzacoalcos Basin and can approximately can be correlated with the Mid-upper Gatun Fm in Panama or with basal Bowden Fm of Jamaica (Thalmann 1935). More recent descriptions of fauna from the Agueguexquite Fm assign it to the Pliocene, more specifically the middle Pliocene (N20). This also matches revised ages for the Bowden Fm, although the Gatun spans the Late Miocene and Early Pliocene. Late Pliocene according to Collins and Coates (1999, p. 75)". STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position in formation.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; unlithified siliciclastic sediments
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Collection methods: bulk, surface (in situ), sieve,
• COLLECTOR: Not stated. REPOSITORY: IGM, Mexico.
Primary reference: M. C. Perrilliat and P. Flores-Guerrero. 2011. Moluscos de la Formación Agueguexquite (Plioceno inferior) de Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, México. Revista Mexicana de Ciencias Geológicas 28(3):379-397 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 134768: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 16.10.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)