Where: Italy (46.5° N, 13.0° E: paleocoordinates 39.4° S, 47.1° E)
• coordinate estimated from map
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Late/Upper Emsian (402.5 - 391.9 Ma)
• Age call is by Vai (Emsien sup.)
Environment/lithology: marine; shelly/skeletal, gray limestone
• Sequence interpreted as largely biohermal.
• "Gray biohermal limestones marked by yellowish levels, with layers indicative of stratification. Thickness about 225 m."
Primary reference: G. B. Vai. 1967. Le Devonien inferieur biohermal des Alpes Carniques centrales. Memoires du Bureau de Recherches Geologiques et Minieres 33:285-300 [M. Foote/M. Foote/M. Foote]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 26253: authorized by Michael Foote, entered by Michael Foote on 09.10.2002
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)
• Vai gives the entire list of species that have been named, including many that have not been properly vetted and many whose exact horizon cannot be determined, either because they were not precisely recorded or because they came from boulders collected before detailed sections had been worked out. I have included as certain occurrences only those species whose stratigraphic position is known precisely enough to place them into one of Vai's three zones and which have had some relatively modern treatment according to his table of citations. (This work was prepared in 1964, published in 1967, so "recent" must be interpreted accordingly, i.e. after about 1950.) Species whose position is known but which have not had modern treatment are included as questioned occurrences. I have omitted gastropods altogether, since all were in need of revision as of the date of this work, and since they were later revised by Jhaveri (1969, PBDB ref. 7262, PBDB collections 26207-27237).
Show authors, comments, and common names