Where: Austria (48.2° N, 15.4° E: paleocoordinates 46.3° N, 14.2° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Melk Formation, Chattian (28.1 - 23.0 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHY: From the Melk Formation, which conformably overlies the Peilach Formation. AGE: Late Egerian age is inferred for the Melk Formation, based on it immediately overlying the Peilach Formation. Assigned here to the Chattian. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From layer 9 of Roetzel (1983).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: transition zone or lower shoreface; lithified, concretionary, sideritic, yellow sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression, concretion
Collected by Roetzel; reposited in the NHMW
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTORS: Collected by Roetzel (1980's). REPOSITORY: Inst. of Pal. Vienna, Geol. Surv. Austria Vienna, and Mus. Nat. Hist. Vienna.
Primary reference: M. Harzhauser and O. Mandic. 2001. Late Oligocene gastropods and bivalves from the Lower and Upper Austrian Molasse Basin. Osterreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften, Schriftenreihe der Erdwissenschaftlichen Komimissionen 14:671-795 [A. Miller/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 77736: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 17.01.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)