Where: Grenada (12.5° N, 61.4° W: paleocoordinates 12.2° N, 61.1° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Grand Bay Formation, Middle Miocene (16.0 - 11.6 Ma)
• The principal, nominal sedimentary units of the mid-Tertiary succession of Carriacou are the Belmont Formation (lower Miocene), Kendeace Formation (lower Miocene), Carriacou Formation (middle Miocene) and Grand Bay Formation (middle Miocene). The collection originates from sandy facies of the Grand Bay Fm. Jung (1971) assigns this a Middle Miocene age based on faunal affinities with other circum-Caribbean units. Collection #11710 orriginates from a graded unit which as a maximum thickness of 1.5 m and includes components of volcanic origin.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; poorly lithified, volcaniclastic sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the NMB
• Naturhistorisches Museum, Basel, Switzerland.
Primary reference: P. Jung. 1971. Fossil mollusks from Carriacou, West Indies. Bulletins of American Paleontology 61(269):1-262 [A. Miller/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 58667: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 18.02.2006, edited by Uta Merkel
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)