Where: Colombia (11.9° N, 71.3° W: paleocoordinates 9.6° N, 64.7° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Macarao Formation, Late/Upper Eocene (37.2 - 33.9 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Macarao Fm, which unconformably overlies the Guaralamai Fm (Campanian) and is unconformably overlain by the Sillamana Fm (Oligocene). AGE: Late Eocene, on the basis of only poor macrofossil biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From transition zone between middle 140 m thick sandstone member and upper 80 m thick limestone member.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; lithified, argillaceous, calcareous sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: replaced with calcite
Collected by Thomas; reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR. D. Thomas, c. 1970. REPOSITORY: Not stated in text. Non-type specimens observed in USNM stratigraphic collections by A. Hendy (1/2011).
Primary reference: D. J. Thomas. 1972. The Tertiary geology and systematic paleontology (phylum Mollusca) of the Guajira Peninsula, Colombia, South America. PhD dissertation. State University of New York at Binghampton 1-138 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 103544: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 29.01.2011
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)