Where: Rio Negro, Argentina (41.7° S, 71.5° W: paleocoordinates 42.6° S, 65.5° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Rio Foyel Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• According to Bechis et al., 2014: New U-Pb LA-ICPMS geochronology undertaken on detrital zircons gave a maximum age of 21 Ma for the fossil-bearing marine sandstone. In addition, a crystalline tuff intercalated in the middle section of the unit in the nearby Palenque stream gave a U-Pb LA-ICPMS zircon age of 16.6±0.5 Ma. These data represent the first geochronological constraints for these marine beds, which are then comprised between 21 and 16 Ma. Considering the joint presence of the Reticulofenestra haqii and Helicosphaera euphratis in the Rio Foyel, this section can be assigned to NN2-NN4 (Martini, 1971), Early to Middle Miocene, Aquitanian- Langhian.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; lithified, concretionary shale
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the CM
Collection methods: surface (float), surface (in situ), mechanical,
• Other repositories are GHUNLPam and MSNM.
Primary reference: S. Casadio, A. De Angeli, R. M. Feldmann, A. Garassino, J. L. Hetler, A. Parras, and C. E. Schweitzer. 2004. New decapod crustaceans (Thalassinidea, Galatheoidea, Brachyura) from the Middle Oligocene of Patagonia, Argentina. Annals of Carnegie Museum 73(2):25-47 [C. Schweitzer/C. Schweitzer/C. Schweitzer]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 45689: authorized by Carrie Schweitzer, entered by Carrie Schweitzer on 24.11.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)