Where: Orissa, India (21.9° N, 86.7° E: paleocoordinates 13.2° N, 84.4° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Baripada Limestone Formation, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• Limestone. Probable that the Baripada Limestone is of Gaj (Lower Miocene) age based on the occurrence of macrofauna, correlatable to Upper Gaj Fm of NW India, and also from Burma.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lithified, brown, yellow limestone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original calcite
Reposited in the GSI
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Reposited in the Geological Survey of India collections. Registered as #K. 8.341.
Primary reference: F.E. Eames. 1937. Ostrea (Crassostrea) gajensis from near Baripada, Mayurbhanj State. Records of the Geological Survey of India 71:150-151 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 42842: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 05.08.2004, edited by Mark Uhen and Catalina Pimiento
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)