Also known as USGS D13208, Deerfield Colony Road
Where: Fergus County, Montana (47.3° N, 109.7° W: paleocoordinates 51.0° N, 71.9° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Scaphites depressus ammonoid zone, Kevin Member (Marias River Shale Formation), Late/Upper Coniacian (89.3 - 85.8 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Kevin Mbr of the Marias River Shale, for which lithostratigraphic relationships are not described. AGE: Late Coniacian; on the basis of ammonite biostratigraphy; Scaphites depressus zone. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From the MacGowan concretionary bed.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; lithified, concretionary, ferruginous shale
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: mold/impression, replaced with phosphate
Reposited in the USNM
• COLLECTOR: Not stated, but presumably Cobban, c. 1970's. REPOSITORY: USNM or USGS.
Primary reference: W. A. Cobban, T. S. Dyman, and K. W. Porter. 2005. Paleontology and stratigraphy of upper Coniacian–middle Santonian ammonite zones and application to erosion surfaces and marine transgressive strata in Montana and Alberta. Cretaceous Research 26(3):429-449 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 89500: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 26.05.2009
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)