Also known as Ashlock Cemetary, (AG4), Gilbert Formation, Kentucky
Where: Kentucky (37.6° N, 84.6° W: paleocoordinates 27.4° S, 61.4° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• hand sample-level geographic resolution
When: Gilbert Formation, Maysvillian (452.0 - 449.5 Ma)
• Late Maysvillian age. Sample #4 collected. Details on stratigraphy and sedimentation (lithology), and additional details of gastropod and bivalve fauna are included from Novack-Gottshall and Miller (2003) [PBDB reference #18186] and field notes.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lagoonal or restricted shallow subtidal; lithified, shelly/skeletal, gray limestone and lithified, silty shale
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Preservation: mold/impression, recrystallized, original calcite, replaced with calcite
Collection methods: bulk, mechanical,
• Bulk collection made in field and weighed, cleaned, prepped, and identified in lab at University of Cincinnati. Sample dimensions are 400.0 square-cm, weighing 1534 grams. At least 24 specimens counted; 19 individuals estimated (using half of total disarticulated specimens with two parts plus number of articulated/intact specimens). Fragmented trepostome bryozoans, trilobites, and crinoid columnals were counted as estimated percent cover using standard percent cover reference chart.
Primary reference: P. M. Novack-Gottshall. 1999. Comparative geographic and environmental diversity dynamics of gastropods and bivalves during the Ordovician Radiation (M.S. thesis, University of Cincinnati). 1-191 [P. Novack-Gottshall/P. Novack-Gottshall/P. Novack-Gottshall]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 64403: authorized by Phil Novack-Gottshall, entered by Phil Novack-Gottshall on 07.09.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)