Also known as Spillings 1, 2 of Laufeld (1974)
Where: Gotland, Sweden (57.7° N, 18.8° E: paleocoordinates 21.4° S, 2.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Slite Beds Formation, Sheinwoodian (433.4 - 430.5 Ma)
• Correlation from Jeppsson (1983), Fossils and Strata 15:128.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: open shallow subtidal; limestone
• SEP: Silurian of Gotland has been variably described as a ramp and platform. Based on my read of the literature, I think if falls best into the ramp category. From Samtleben et al. (1996). Geol. Rundsch 85:278-292; "...this unit consists of a carbonate platform with reef mounds and surrounding shoal sediments of mostly pure biodetritic and pleoidal limestones. Here slow and discontinuous accumulation of carbonate material continued in a very shallow water but under normal marine conditions....to the south and southwest the carbonate platform passes with a conspicuous slope into a deeper shelf basin where a uniform alternation of micritic limestones and marls accumulated." Based on information provided in this collection, it is difficult to tell which facies is represented but I have assumed that it represents the more extensive shallow subtidal facies.
Collection methods: quarrying, chemical,
Primary reference: L. Cherns. 1998. Silurian polyplacophoran molluscs from Gotland, Sweden. Palaeontology 41(5):23-31 [P. Wagner/P. Wagner]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 59278: authorized by Pete Wagner, entered by Pete Wagner on 23.03.2006
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)
Show authors, comments, and common names