Where: Costa Rica (9.6° N, 82.8° W: paleocoordinates 9.5° N, 82.4° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Rio Banano Formation, Piacenzian (3.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: The Rio Banano Formation sits diachronously with abrupt lithological transition on the Uscari Formation, mostly conformably and sometimes disconformably. The Rio Banano Formation passes conformably into the Quebrada Chocolate Formation in the area immediately west of Limon but throughout most of the southern Limon Basin it is unconformably overlain by the breccia and coarse grained volcaniclastics of the Suretka Formation. AGE: direct date extrapolated from Bybell (1999) and Collins et al. (1999). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Collection is representative of formation.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the PRI
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: Olsson, A. REPOSITORY: PRI.
Primary reference: A. A. Olsson. 1922. The Miocene of Northern Costa Rica. Bulletins of American Paleontology 9(39):1-309 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 134652: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 12.10.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)