Also known as MM Site, Riversleigh
Where: Queensland, Australia (19.1° S, 138.7° E: paleocoordinates 30.8° S, 134.7° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Faunal Zone B zone, Early/Lower Miocene (23.0 - 16.0 Ma)
• The MM Site is listed among "System B"-aged sites in Travouillon et al. (2006, Alcheringia, 30, Suppl. 1, 323-349).
•The suboptimal stratigraphic nomenclature of Archer et al. (1997, Mém. Trav. École Prat. Hautes Études Inst. Montpellier, 21, 131–152) is replaced by a concept of faunal zones by Arena (2004, PhD thesis, Uviv. New South Wales, Sydney), confirmed by Travouillon et al. (2006). Faunal Zones A, B, C are identical to "Systems" A, B, C of Archer et al. (1997). Faunal Zone B is Early Miocene in age.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: terrestrial; carbonate
Size class: mesofossils
Collection methods: acetic,
• "Riversleigh fossils are rarely articulated but usually undistorted, can be completely freed from matrix with acid [...]." (Scanlon, 2006).
•QMF = paleontology collections of Queensland Museum
Primary reference: J. D. Scanlon. 2006. Skull of the large non-macrostomatan snake Yurlunggur from the Australian Oligo-Miocene. Nature 439:839-842 [J. Head/J. Head]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 134947: authorized by Johannes Mueller, entered by Torsten Liebrecht on 19.10.2012, edited by Roger Close and Mark Uhen
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)