Also known as NMB Loc. 18724
Where: Bocas, Panama (9.0° N, 81.7° W: paleocoordinates 9.3° N, 81.1° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: NN15 nannofossil zone, Shark Hole Point Formation (Bocas del Toro Group), Zanclean (5.3 - 3.6 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: the Shark Hole Point Fm conformably overlies the Nancy Point Fm and is overlain by an unnamed sequence of volcaniclastics. AGE: from Collins et al. (1999), an age range of 5.3-3.5 Ma, Early Pliocene, though PPP dataset indicates an age of 3.5-3.6 Ma corresponding to nannofossil stage NN15. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: 1955 m in section 12 of Collins et al. (1999).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; poorly lithified, bioturbated, micaceous, shelly/skeletal, argillaceous siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Jung & Heitz in 1995; reposited in the NMB
Collection methods: bulk, sieve,
• COLLECTORS: Peter Jung, A. Heitz et al., 21.9.1995. REPOSITORY: Naturhistorisches Museum Basel (NMB).
Primary reference: L. S. Collins and A. G. Coates. 1999. A paleobiotic survey of Caribbean faunas from the Neogene of the Isthmus of Panama. Bulletins of American Paleontology (357) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 135832: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 11.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)