Where: Panama (9.2° N, 80.3° W: paleocoordinates 8.9° N, 78.9° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Río Indio Member (Chagres Sandstone Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: Chagres Sandstone overlies and partly overlaps the Gatun Fm. Calcareous strata at the base of the formation throughout most of the outcrop area in the Canal Zone constitutes the Toro Limestone Mbr. The Chagres Sandstone is as much as 1000 ft thick. AGE: Late Miocene (late Tortonian-Messinian) according to Collins and Coates 1999), but Río Indio facies are also thought to be Pliocene in age; Sr dating by the enterer (Hendy, unpubl.) indicates an age of approximately 7.6 Ma. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From the Río Indio facies.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; poorly lithified, gray siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Jung et al. in 1998; reposited in the NMB
Collection methods: bulk, sieve,
• COLLECTOR: Jung, Coates, Todd, Fortunato & Aguilera, 16.1.1998. RESPOSITORY: NMB, Basel, Switzerland.
Primary reference: B. Landau, R. E. Petit, and C. M. Silva. 2012. New Cancellariidae (Mollusca, Gastropoda) from the Miocene Gatun Formation of Panama, with eleven new species. Journal of Paleontology 86(6):907-930 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136006: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 14.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)