Also known as La-Grive-Saint-Alban
Where: Rhône-Alpes, France (45.6° N, 5.2° E: paleocoordinates 45.9° N, 4.1° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: MN 7 + 8 (12.8 - 11.1 Ma)
• MN 7 (Astaracian) according to Rage & Holman (1984).(TL)
Environment/lithology: fissure fill; lithology not reported and limestone
• Fissure fill in Jurassic limestone (Rage & Holman, 1984). (TL)
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Collection methods: sieve,
• Specimens listed by Rage & Holman (1984) and Rage & Szyndlar (1986) are deposited in the Department of Earth Sciences of the Claude Bernard University, Lyon (FSL or UCBL).
Primary reference: J.-C. Rage and J. A. Holman. 1984. Des serpents (Reptilia, Squamata) de type nord-américain dans le Miocène Français. Évolution parallèle ou dispersion. Geobios 17(1):89-104 [J. Mueller/T. Liebrecht]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136199: authorized by Johannes Mueller, entered by Torsten Liebrecht on 22.11.2012, edited by Matthew Carrano
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)
• Rage & Holman (1984) only list the type material of their snakes. Given that they report occurences of these species from other localities than Grive L7 and that Rage & Szyndlar (1986) report more than 350 bones of Natrix
, it seems probable that more material than the type specimens is present in the collections from this sublocality. Thus, specimen counts of the respective occurences are omitted here.
•Furthermore, it is assumed that the identifications by Ivanov (2002) are not based on material that was already published in earlier literature.
Show authors, comments, and common names
| Temnospondyli - Albanerpetontidae
| Squamata - Elapidae
Wagler 1824 coral snake
"probably M. gallicus"
| Squamata - Colubridae
Rage and Holman 1984 colubrid snake
2 vertebrae (FSL 285 006 and 007 = paratypes)
Natrix aff. longivertebrata3
Szyndlar 1984 water snake
3 parabasisphenoids (UCBL no. 285075, 285076, 285452), 1 compound bone (UCBL no. 285077), and 374 trunk vertebrae (UCBL no. 285078 to 285451)
| Squamata - Crotalidae
| Squamata - Typhlopidae