Where: Darien, Panama (8.5° N, 77.7° W: paleocoordinates 8.2° N, 76.3° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Tuira Formation (Lara Group), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From Tuira Fm, for which lithostratigraphic relationships are not discussed. AGE: Middle Miocene, in text; subsequent publications suggest late Miocene or early Pliocene age; Coates et al. (2004) suggests a Tortonian age (11.2-8.3 Ma). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; lithology not reported
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the NMB
Collection methods: bulk, surface (float), surface (in situ), sieve,
• COLLECTOR: Unknown. REPOSITORY: NMB, Basel.
Primary reference: A. G. Beu. 2010. Neogene Tonnoidean Gastropods of Tropical and South America; contributions to the Dominican Republic and Panama Paleontology Projects and Uplift of the Central American Isthmus. Bulletins of American Paleontology (377-378)1-550 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136309: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 25.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)