Where: Costa Rica (8.2° N, 83.0° W: paleocoordinates 8.1° N, 82.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Penita Formation (Charco Azul Group), Late/Upper Pliocene (3.6 - 2.6 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From Charco Azul Formation (Olsson 1942), which unconformably underlies the Armurelles Fm (Pleistocene). AGE: Pliocene as it is overlain by very different Pleistocene fauna Age supported by other sources, including Collins and Coates (1999). Correlated to Jama and Canoa Formations of Ecuador. STRAIGRAPHIC POSITION: From basal part of formation, only a short distance above basement andesite.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; unlithified, tuffaceous shale
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Landau
Collection methods: surface (float), surface (in situ),
• COLLECTORS: B. Landau. REPOSITORIES: B. Landau collection.
Primary reference: A. G. Beu. 2010. Neogene Tonnoidean Gastropods of Tropical and South America; contributions to the Dominican Republic and Panama Paleontology Projects and Uplift of the Central American Isthmus. Bulletins of American Paleontology (377-378)1-550 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136335: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 26.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)