Where: Venezuela (10.8° N, 64.2° W: paleocoordinates 10.7° N, 63.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• basin-level geographic resolution
When: Cerro Negro Formation (Cubagua Group), Early/Lower Pliocene (5.3 - 3.6 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Cerro Negro Fm of the Cubagua Gp (Late Miocene-Pliocene), which overlies the La Güica Fm; Jung (1989) treats this as the Cerro Negro Mbr of the Cubagua Formation, but the Cubagua is now raised to group status. AGE: Early Pliocene; mostly likely falls within the Globorotalia margaritae Zone (Boli,& Bermudez, 1965; and other refs). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within formation.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; unlithified siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by B. Landau
Collection methods: surface (float), surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: B. Landau. REPOSITORY: B. Landau collection.
Primary reference: A. G. Beu. 2010. Neogene Tonnoidean Gastropods of Tropical and South America; contributions to the Dominican Republic and Panama Paleontology Projects and Uplift of the Central American Isthmus. Bulletins of American Paleontology (377-378)1-550 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136387: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 27.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)