Where: Colon, Panama (9.3° N, 79.9° W: paleocoordinates 9.0° N, 78.5° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: middle Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: From the Gatun Formation, which unconformably overlies either volcanic basement of Caimito Formation (late Oligocene), and is unconformably overlain by the Chagres Formation. AGE: Tortonian; constrained by biostratigraphy of multiple groups (foraminifera, nannoplankton); direct date extrapolated from Sr dating (Hendy, unpublished). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: Probably from top of middle member (enterer's opinion).
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; siliciclastic sediments
Size class: macrofossils
Reposited in the CAS
Collection methods: surface (float), surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: Unknown. REPOSITORY: California Academy of Sciences Geology (CASG).
Primary reference: A. G. Beu. 2010. Neogene Tonnoidean Gastropods of Tropical and South America; contributions to the Dominican Republic and Panama Paleontology Projects and Uplift of the Central American Isthmus. Bulletins of American Paleontology (377-378)1-550 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136598: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 30.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)