Also known as NMB Loc. 17854
Where: Bocas, Panama (9.1° N, 81.8° W: paleocoordinates 9.5° N, 81.2° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: NN15 nannofossil zone, Shark Hole Point Formation (Bocas del Toro Group), Zanclean (5.3 - 3.6 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: the Shark Hole Point Fm conformably overlies the Nancy Point Fm and is overlain by an unnamed sequence of volcaniclastics. AGE: from Collins et al. (1999), an age range of 5.3-3.5 Ma, Early Pliocene, though PPP dataset indicates an age of 3.5-3.6 Ma corresponding to nannofossil stage NN15. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: 1639 m in section 12 of Collins et al. (1999).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; poorly lithified, bioturbated, micaceous, shelly/skeletal, argillaceous siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Jung et al. in 1988; reposited in the NMB
Collection methods: bulk, surface (float), surface (in situ), sieve,
• COLLECTORS: Peter Jung, D. Geary & L. Anderson, 6.6.1988. REPOSITORY: Naturhistorisches Museum Basel (NMB).
Primary reference: A. G. Beu. 2010. Neogene Tonnoidean Gastropods of Tropical and South America; contributions to the Dominican Republic and Panama Paleontology Projects and Uplift of the Central American Isthmus. Bulletins of American Paleontology (377-378)1-550 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136632: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 30.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)