Where: La Guajira, Colombia (11.9° N, 71.3° W: paleocoordinates 11.3° N, 68.6° W)
• coordinate based on unpublished field data
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: middle Castilletes Member (Castilletes Formation), Langhian (16.0 - 13.8 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Jimol Formation, which conformably overlies the Uipta Formation (early Miocene) and is unconformably overlain by the Castilletes Formation. This area and nearby collections have been previously mapped as Castilletes Formaton (late Pliocene-early Pleistocene). AGE: Burdigalian, on the basis of macrofaunal composition; direct age established by extrapolation of Sr-isotope dating by enterer. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From approximately 168 m in regional section.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; unlithified siltstone
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Preservation: original aragonite, original calcite
Collected by Hendy in 2011
Collection methods: bulk, sieve,
• COLLECTOR: A. Hendy, 03/16/2011. REPOSITORY: Presently reposited at FLMNH, Gainesville.
Primary reference: A. J. W. Hendy, D. S. Jones, F. Moreno, V. Zapata, and C. Jaramillo. 2015. Neogene molluscs, shallow marine paleoenvironments, and chronostratigraphy of the Guajira Peninsula, Colombia. Swiss Journal of Palaeontology 134(1):45-75 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136880: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 05.12.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)