Where: Rio Negro, Argentina (41.1° S, 70.8° W: paleocoordinates 43.6° S, 61.1° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Ventana Formation, Lutetian (47.8 - 41.3 Ma)
• Found near famous flora of Burdigalian age, so assumed to be Burdigalian (Middle Miocene) by Viana & Haedo Rossi, but more likely from the Ventana Formation of early Lutetian age. The locality was dated using 40Ar/39Ar analyses in Wilf et al. (2005) and recalculated in Wilf (2012), giving an age of 47.74 ± 0.05 Ma (million years ago).
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: crater lake; lithified mudstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by Piatnitzky
• Repository: Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales "Bernardino Rivadavia"
Primary reference: M. J. Viana and J. A. Haedo Rossi. 1957. Primer hallazgo en el hemisferio sur de Formicidae extinguidos y catalogo mundial de los Formicidae fosiles. Ameghiniana 1:108-113 [M. Clapham/M. Clapham]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 138647: authorized by Matthew Clapham, entered by Matthew Clapham on 23.01.2013
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)