Where: Russell County, Kentucky (36.9° N, 85.0° W: paleocoordinates 17.8° S, 32.1° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Fort Payne Formation, Visean (346.7 - 330.9 Ma)
• Chadian to Arundian is equivalent to Visean according to Heckel and Clayton, 2006 (Geologica acta 4:403-407)
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lithified carbonate
Size class: macrofossils
• 46 drilled specimens out of 661 total (7%).
Preservation: recrystallized, replaced with silica
Collection methods: All specimens were obtained by surface collecting, but due to the difficulty of extracting the partially
•silicified specimens, not all could be collected.
Primary reference: T. K. Baumiller, L. R. Leighton, and D. L. Thompson. 1999. Boreholes in Mississippian spiriferide brachiopods and their implications for Paleozoic gastropod drilling. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 147:283-289 [N. Bonuso/P. Monarrez]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 141616: authorized by Nicole Bonuso, entered by Pedro Monarrez on 29.03.2013
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)