Where: Scotland, United Kingdom (55.0° N, 2.0° W: paleocoordinates 11.1° S, 0.9° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Cementstone Group, Tournaisian (358.9 - 346.7 Ma)
• It is therefore of interest to be able to record a Scottish example of C. devonicus from ash beds in the transition zone at the base of the Cementstone Group and overlying typical Upper Old Red Sandstone.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: gray ash
Size class: mesofossils
Collection methods: surface (in situ), chemical,
• "It may only be coincidence that this site occurs less than half a mile from the exposure at Preston Haugh where Archaeopteris hibernicus was recorded last century by Hugh Miller (1869, p. 411)" p. 369.
Primary reference: A. G. Long. 1968. Some specimens of Mazocarpon, Achlamydocarpon and Cystosporites from the Lower Carboniferous rocks of Berwickshire. Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 68:45-60 [B. DiMichele/B. DiMichele/J. Cassara]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 34493: authorized by Hallie Sims, entered by Alistair McGowan on 03.09.2003
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)