Also known as Bled el Douarah, yellow sands
Where: Gafsa, Tunisia (34.0° N, 8.0° E: paleocoordinates 33.8° N, 7.7° E)
• coordinate estimated from map
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Beglia Formation, Late/Upper Miocene (11.6 - 5.3 Ma)
• Beglia Formation is divided into units. Two fossiliferous levels have been identified. The Upper Faunal Level is subdivided into two units- upper and lower subunits. The age of the formation is estimated to be 12.5-9.5 Ma. No more specific dating is available, however Hipparion is present in both subunits of the Upper Faunal Level.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lacustrine; poorly lithified, yellow, conglomeratic sandstone
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Collection methods: bulk, surface (float), surface (in situ),
• Information on stratigraphic level is only available for some taxa.
Primary reference: P. Robinson and C. C. Black. 1969. Note preliminaire sur les vertebres fossiles du Vinodobonien (formation Beglia), du Bled Douarah, Gouvernorat de Gafsa, Tunisie. Notes du Service Geologique Tunisie. Traveaux de Geologie Tunisienne 31(11):67-70 [A. Behrensmeyer/S. Cote/S. Cote]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 35279: authorized by Anna Behrensmeyer, entered by Suzanne Cote on 24.11.2003
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)