Also known as Bled ed Douarah, white sands, lower level
Where: Gafsa, Tunisia (34.0° N, 8.0° E: paleocoordinates 33.8° N, 7.7° E)
• coordinate estimated from map
• local area-level geographic resolution
When: Beglia Formation, Late/Upper Miocene (11.6 - 5.3 Ma)
• Beglia Formation is divided into units. Two fossiliferous levels have been identified. The age of the formation is estimated to be 12.5-9.5 Ma. No more specific dating is available, however Hipparion is present in both subunits of the Upper Faunal Level.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: fluvial; poorly lithified, coarse-grained, white, sandy sandstone
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Collection methods: bulk, surface (float), surface (in situ),
• Information on stratigraphic level and abundance is only available for some taxa.
Primary reference: P. Robinson and C. C. Black. 1969. Note preliminaire sur les vertebres fossiles du Vinodobonien (formation Beglia), du Bled Douarah, Gouvernorat de Gafsa, Tunisie. Notes du Service Geologique Tunisie. Traveaux de Geologie Tunisienne 31(11):67-70 [A. Behrensmeyer/S. Cote/S. Cote]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 35281: authorized by Anna Behrensmeyer, entered by Suzanne Cote on 24.11.2003
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)