Also known as Oued el Ateuch, Guiard, Tafna Formation, Koudiat et Tine
Where: Oran, Algeria (33.4° N, 1.1° W: paleocoordinates 33.3° N, 2.1° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Tafna? Formation, Late/Upper Miocene (11.6 - 5.3 Ma)
• No information on stratigraphy of fossil localities. Site has been dated to 9.7-10.0 Ma by biostratigraphy (rodents), although fossils are unlikely to be in primary context.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marginal marine; gray, red marl
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Collection methods: bulk, surface (float),
• Not in situ (found in marine sediments).
Primary reference: H. Thomas, R. Bernor, and J.-J. Jaeger. 1982. Origines du peuplement mammalien en Afrique du Nord durant le Miocène terminal. Géobios 15(3):283-297 [A. Behrensmeyer/S. Cote/J. Alroy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 35287: authorized by Anna Behrensmeyer, entered by Suzanne Cote on 24.11.2003
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)