Where: Colombia (4.2° N, 75.2° W: paleocoordinates 50.3° S, 54.5° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Emsian to Emsian (407.6 - 387.7 Ma)
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; fine-grained sandstone and shale
• Biofacies 1, "offshore open marine paleoenvironments below wave base"
• "Rougly 130 m [exposure]: 70 m of basal sandstone with intercalations of conglomerate and shale, 30 m of dark gray shale, and at the top about 30 m of fine sandstone with shale interbeds. Collections R3-R5 come from the upper 30 m of fine-grained sandstone with shale interbeds; no detailed section was measured here."
Collection methods: bulk
Primary reference: S. F. Barrett. 1986. Paleoecology and stratigraphy of Devonian sediments in the northern Andes, Colombia: paleogeographic implications [Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, University of Chicago]. 1-329 [M. Foote/M. Foote/M. Foote]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 35981: authorized by Michael Foote, entered by Michael Foote on 12.01.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)
• Barrett (ref. 9602) gives a detailed faunal list for his entire dissertation, generally down to the species level. The individual samples, however, are presented in his fig. 24 in a form that coarsens the taxonomic resolution to the genus level or even higher. It seems that the brachiopods are more likely to be reported to the genus level.
Show authors, comments, and common names