Also known as Venus-Conus community sample 21
Where: Pordenone, Italy (46.2° N, 12.8° E: paleocoordinates 46.0° N, 12.6° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Montello conglomerate Formation, Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• Miocene Torento-Meduna sequence unconformably overlies the Eocene Clauzetto Flysch (Flysch di Clauzetto) and is composed of Preplans Sandstone, Zouf marl, Rugo Mizza Sandstone, San Martino Calcarenite, Torrente Meduna Siltstone, Maraldi Sandstone, Bier Puddingstone, and Montello Conglomerate. The exposed thickness of the Montello Conglomerate has been estimated to reach several hundred metres.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: deltaic; unlithified, yellow conglomerate
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: bulk,
• Based on single bulk samples, about 30 cubic centimetres each. Grain size data also provided.
Primary reference: M.P. Bernasconi and E. Robba. 1993. Molluscan palaeoecology and sedimentological features: an integrated appraoch from the Miocene Meduna section, northern Italy. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 100:267-290 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: paleoecologic analysis
PaleoDB collection 37379: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 14.03.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)