Where: Kern County, California (35.3° N, 119.3° W: paleocoordinates 34.8° N, 116.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• basin-level geographic resolution
When: Santa Margarita Formation, Late/Upper Miocene (11.6 - 5.3 Ma)
• LITHOSTRATIGRAPHY: The Santa Margarita Formation is overlain by the Kern RIver Formation, and overlies the Round Mountain Silt. AGE: Late Miocene. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within formation.
• formation-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: offshore; pebbly, sandy shale
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Reposited in the CAS, LACM, UCMP
Collection methods: quarrying,
• COLLECTORS: Multiple collectors. REPOSITORY: Collections housed at various institutes: USGS (Wasington and Menlo Park), UCMP, LACM, CAS, Stanford University, UCLA, UCR.
Primary reference: W.O. Addicott. 1970. Miocene Gastropods and Biostratigraphy of the Kern River Area, California. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 642:1-172 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 38044: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 02.04.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)