Also known as Bassin du Tage, Tagus basin, Tagus' basin, Tagus'
Where: Santarém, Portugal (39.3° N, 8.7° W: paleocoordinates 39.4° N, 9.8° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• small collection-level geographic resolution
When: Lower Bone Bed Formation, MN 6 (13.7 - 12.8 Ma)
• The number of species represented in Pero Filho is much more limited than Póvoa de Santarém fauna. "..Megacricetodon crusafonti in association with Conohyus places Pero Filho in the exact same level as Póvoa de Santarém, and a litte more recent than Sanson.
•The presence of Anchitherium and absence of Hipparion excludes an Upper Miocene age. "..Megacricetodon crusafonti, Fahlbuschia darocensis, Cricetodon jotae [in coll. 38137] are characteristic of mammalian MN6 unit, thus their age is is nearly that of Sansan and Manchones (however the presence of Peridyromys hamadryas and Lagopsis verus [also only in coll. 38137] do suggest, amidst this biozone, a somewhat later age than Sansan's).." Indirect correlation with marine formations, underlying oyster-bearing beds most probably in correspondance to the apogee of the same transgression that deposed near Lisbon "schlier" facies from VI-a division division (Serravalian, Blow's zones 10-13, Globorotalia meyeri zone).
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: fluvial; coarse-grained, concretionary mudstone and lignite
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils, microfossils
Collection methods: core, sieve,
• In the collections of the Centro de Estratigrafia e Paleobiologia das Universidades de Lisboa.
Primary reference: M. T. Antunes and P. Mein. 1977. Contributions à la paléontologie du Miocène moyen continental du Bassin du Tage, III; Mammifères - Póvoa de Santarém, Pero Filho et Chões (Secorio), Conclusions générales. [Paleontology of the continental middle Miocene of the Tagus Basin, III; Mammals - Póvoa de Santarém, Pero Filho et Chões (Secorio), General Conclusions. Ciencias de Terra (UNL) (3)143-165 [J. Alroy/R. Whatley/J. Head]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 38139: authorized by John Alroy, entered by Robin Whatley on 13.04.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)