Also known as Reef 563
Where: Leon, Spain (43.0° N, 6.0° W: paleocoordinates 8.9° S, 8.3° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: San Emiliano Formation, Bashkirian (323.2 - 315.2 Ma)
• 'the fossil sponge fauna occurs above the massive limestones of the Bashkirian Valdeteja Fm and below the shaly beds that characterize the overlying Bashkirian-Moscovian San Emiliano Fm. We consider the fossil bearing unit to be part of the San Emiliano Fm. Latest Bashkirian age.'
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: reef, buildup or bioherm; limestone and marl
Reposited in the UCM
• 'Specimens are deposited in the Department of Paleontology, Faculty of Geology, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM).'
Primary reference: D. C. Garcia-Bellido and J. K. Rigby. 2004. Devonian and Carboniferous sponges from Spain. Journal of Paleontology 78(3):431-455 [A. Miller/J. Sessa/W. Kiessling]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 39855: authorized by Arnold Miller, entered by Jocelyn Sessa on 09.06.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)