Also known as Lot No. 4 - Capps (1916)
Where: Valdez-Codrova County County, Alaska (61.5° N, 142.9° W: paleocoordinates 61.5° N, 142.9° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Middle Devonian (393.3 - 382.7 Ma)
• Specifically: "from agglomerate series; shale beds associated with lava flows and pyroclastic beds". The beds do not constitute a well defined group, but are assigned to middle Devonian on the basis of faunal composition and stratigraphically associated units. Devonian rocks in the Buck Creek area comprise a variety of clastic sedimentary rocks, including shale, quartzite, grit, and others, which are associated with limestone beds. All the beds are folded and tilted. No estimate of thickness is not known, but probably is several thousand feet.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; shale
Size class: macrofossils
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Collections reidentified by Edwin Kirk.
Primary reference: F.H. Moffit. 1954. Geology of the eastern part of the Alaska Range and adjacent area. United States Geological Survey Professional Paper 989(D) [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 40668: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 26.06.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)