Where: Peru (13.9° S, 76.3° W: paleocoordinates 16.1° S, 69.6° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Otuma Formation, Early/Lower Oligocene (33.9 - 28.4 Ma)
• Bed of medium-grained sandstone about 2 meters above base of sea cliff. Faulted sandstone beds rest unconformably upon the middle Eocene siltstones. The section consists of three medium beds of indurated bioclastic sandstone near the base seperated by medium-grained sandstone with fossiliferous concretions. The total section may measure about 10 m.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; medium-grained sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite, original calcite
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Identifications made by T.J. DeVires. Unknown repository.
Primary reference: T. J. DeViries. 1998. Oligocene deposition and Cenozoic sequence boundaries in the Pisco Basin (Peru). Journal of South American Earth Sciences 11(3):217-231 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 41621: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 18.07.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)