Where: Peru (13.9° S, 76.3° W: paleocoordinates 16.0° S, 69.6° W)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Otuma Formation, Early/Lower Oligocene (33.9 - 28.4 Ma)
• Faulted sandstone beds rest unconformably upon the middle Eocene siltstones. The section consists of three medium beds of indurated bioclastic sandstone near the base seperated by medium-grained sandstone with fossiliferous concretions. The total section may measure about 10 m.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: marine; lithified, shelly/skeletal sandstone and medium-grained, concretionary sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite, original calcite
Collection methods: quarrying,
• Identifications made by T.J. DeVires. Unknown repository.
Primary reference: T. J. DeViries. 1998. Oligocene deposition and Cenozoic sequence boundaries in the Pisco Basin (Peru). Journal of South American Earth Sciences 11(3):217-231 [A. Miller/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: biostratigraphic analysis
PaleoDB collection 41622: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 18.07.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)