Where: Colombia (11.9° N, 71.3° W: paleocoordinates 11.1° N, 68.2° W)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Castilletes Formation, Burdigalian to Burdigalian (20.4 - 13.8 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: Stated to be from the Castilletes Fm (although it could also be Jimol), which conformably overlies the Jimol Fm (early-middle Miocene) and is unconformably overlain by the Ware Fm (late Pliocene-early Pleistocene. AGE: Burdigalian-Langhian on the basis of macrofossil biostratigraphy and Sr isotope dating. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within stratigraphy.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, calcareous sandstone
Size classes: macrofossils, mesofossils
Preservation: original aragonite, original calcite
Collected by Thomas; reposited in the USNM
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR. D. Thomas, c. 1970. REPOSITORY: Not stated in text. Non-type specimens observed in USNM stratigraphic collections by A. Hendy (1/2011).
Primary reference: D. J. Thomas. 1972. The Tertiary geology and systematic paleontology (phylum Mollusca) of the Guajira Peninsula, Colombia, South America. PhD dissertation. State University of New York at Binghampton 1-138 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 106366: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 12.03.2011
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)