Where: Somalia (10.3° N, 50.2° E: paleocoordinates 7.4° N, 45.0° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Gheldeis Formation (Hafún Group), Early/Lower Oligocene (33.9 - 28.4 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Gheldeis Fm [enterers usage] of the Hafún Series [group?], and presumably regionally overlies Late Eocene strata and is overlain by the Gianti Fm [enterers usage] (Early Oligocene). AGE: Early Oligocene, equivalent to Stampien and middle Nari according to author on the basis of larger formaniferal and molluscan biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From bed B, near the base of the section.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: shallow subtidal; lithified, white sandstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression
Collected by Facca in 1938-1939
• COLLECTOR: Collected by G. Facca, 1938-1939. REPOSITORY: Museo dell' Istituto Geologico dell' Universitá di Firenze.
Primary reference: A. Azzaroli. 1958. L'Oligocene e il Miocene della Somalia. Stratigrafia, Tettonica, Paleontologia (Macroforaminferi, Coralli, Molluschi). Palaeontolographia Italica 52:1-142 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 78998: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 21.02.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)