Where: North Carolina (33.8° N, 78.3° W: paleocoordinates 34.6° N, 60.6° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Bald Head Shoals Formation, Thanetian (59.2 - 56.0 Ma)
• 55 feet depth. Harris and Laws (1994) suggested that the BHS is Thanetian in age and could therefore be assigned to Global Coastal Onlap Cycle TA2.1 of Haq et al. (1987) or the TP2.1 Cycle of Baum and Vail.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: lithified, gray, sandy packstone
Size class: macrofossils
Collected by US Army Corps of Engineers in 1990-1993; reposited in the PRI
• Cores drilled offshore of southeasternmost North Carolina in 1990–1993 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Primary reference: W. Allmon and W. Harris. 2008. A New Species of Turritelline Gastropod from a Turritelline-Dominated Limestone in the Paleocene of North Carolina. Journal of Paleontology 82(2):442-446 [M. Clapham/V. Maciel]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 184300: authorized by Matthew Clapham, entered by Vanessa Maciel on 14.02.2017, edited by Matthew Clapham
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)