Where: Badajoz, Spain (38.5° N, 6.5° W: paleocoordinates 16.5° S, 3.5° E)
• coordinate stated in text
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Asbian to Asbian (339.4 - 326.4 Ma)
• 'The basin is about 11km long, northwest to southeast. Its succession was subdivided by Rodriquez et al. (1992) into 8 units, with a total of more than 1000m. The section at Las Pilitas 2 is 45 m thick, and the upper portion is regarded as Unit 6. The fossils come from a marly breccia beneath a limestone bed 1.5m thick near the top of the section.'
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: slope; marl
Reposited in the UCM
• 'Specimens are deposited in the Department of Paleontology, Faculty of Geology, Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM).'
Primary reference: D. C. Garcia-Bellido and J. K. Rigby. 2004. Devonian and Carboniferous sponges from Spain. Journal of Paleontology 78(3):431-455 [A. Miller/J. Sessa/W. Kiessling]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 39854: authorized by Arnold Miller, entered by Jocelyn Sessa on 09.06.2004
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)