Where: Panama (9.4° N, 79.8° W: paleocoordinates 9.1° N, 78.4° W)
• coordinate estimated from map
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: lower Gatun Member (Gatun Formation), Tortonian (11.6 - 7.2 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Gatun Fm, which regionally overlies the Caimito Fm or Mesozoic basement. AGE: Serravalian, on the basis of revised chronostratigraphy (Hendy, unpublished data). STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From lower member of the Gatun Formation.
• bed-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: coastal; poorly lithified, shelly/skeletal siltstone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: original aragonite
Collected by Gale & Todd; reposited in the BMNH
Collection methods: surface (in situ),
• COLLECTOR: Gale & Todd. REPOSITORY: BMNH, London.
Primary reference: A. G. Beu. 2010. Neogene Tonnoidean Gastropods of Tropical and South America; contributions to the Dominican Republic and Panama Paleontology Projects and Uplift of the Central American Isthmus. Bulletins of American Paleontology (377-378)1-550 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: taxonomic analysis
PaleoDB collection 136303: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 25.11.2012
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)