Where: Somalia (11.0° N, 51.0° E: paleocoordinates 8.1° N, 45.9° E)
• coordinate based on nearby landmark
• outcrop-level geographic resolution
When: Gianti Formation (Hafún Group), Early/Lower Oligocene (33.9 - 28.4 Ma)
• STRATIGRAPHIC RELATIONS: From the Gianti Fm [enterers usage] of the Hafún Series [group?], and presumably regionally overlies the Gheldeis Fm [enterers usage] (Early Oligocene) and is overlain by the Tavo Fm [enterers usage] (Late Oligocene). AGE: Early Oligocene, equivalent to Stampien and middle Nari according to author on the basis of larger formaniferal and molluscan biostratigraphy. STRATIGRAPHIC POSITION: From unknown position within section.
• group of beds-level stratigraphic resolution
Environment/lithology: shallow subtidal; lithified, sandy limestone
Size class: macrofossils
Preservation: cast, mold/impression
Collected by Facca & Marchesini in 1938-1939
• COLLECTOR: Collected by G. Facca and E. Marchesini, 1938-1939. REPOSITORY: Museo dell' Istituto Geologico dell' Universitá di Firenze.
Primary reference: A. Azzaroli. 1958. L'Oligocene e il Miocene della Somalia. Stratigrafia, Tettonica, Paleontologia (Macroforaminferi, Coralli, Molluschi). Palaeontolographia Italica 52:1-142 [A. Hendy/A. Hendy]more details
Purpose of describing collection: general faunal/floral analysis
PaleoDB collection 78982: authorized by Austin Hendy, entered by Austin Hendy on 20.02.2008
Creative Commons license: CC BY (attribution)