Bivalvia - Pholadida - Pholadidae
Parent taxon: Pholadinae according to A. G. Beu 2006
See also Glenn 1904, Kennedy 1993, Kensley and Pether 1986, Lamprell and Healy 1998, Sepkoski 2002 and Vokes 1980
Sister taxa: Clavipholas, Cyrtopleuropsis, Euxinibarneini, Monothyra, Nipponopholas, Pholadini, Pholas, Zirfaea
Subtaxa: Barnea (Anchomasa) Barnea (Barnea) Barnea (Umitakea) Barnea australasiae Barnea dilatata Barnea tiara Barnea truncata
Ecology: stationary boring suspension feeder
• Quaternary of Japan (3 collections), Namibia (1), New Zealand (1), South Africa (2), Thailand (1), United States (26: Delaware, Louisiana, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia)
• Pliocene of Belgium (1), Italy (2), Japan (1), South Africa (1), the United Kingdom (5), United States (3: California, North Carolina)
• Miocene of Argentina (1), Bulgaria (1), Iran (2), Italy (1), Kazakhstan (1), New Zealand (1), United States (1: Maryland)
• Eocene of the United Kingdom (1), United States (2: Alabama, Texas)
• Cretaceous of United States (2: California)
Total: 60 collections including 61 occurrences
Show more details
Specimen images are retrieved through the ePANDDA API.
Click image to enlarge. Click to access iDigBio record.